Sunday, June 12, 2011

Crossroads, boggles, and an exemplary map

Tim at Gothridge Manor posted a nice list of random encounters for crossroads. I'm a sucker for local legends. Tim's post caused me to grab one of my favorite inspirational references, The Lore of the Land: A Guide to England's Legends, which relates this:
The boggle infecting Bringham Lane end, where four roads meet, is a white dog, known as Willie Sled's dog. Willie Sled used to attend to those who came to Bringham sand-pit; and as nearly every pit in Riding has its goblin, this one is named after him...

Boggles are, of course, shape-shifting bogey beasts that haunt places of transition, like crossroads and streams. They're prone to play (sometimes deadly) tricks on passersby.

While I had the book open, I noticed this map and key:

The key would be a good basis for a series of random tables to spice-up a hex map.

  1. Churches & holy places
  2. Devils & demons
  3. Ghosts, apparitions & screaming skulls
  4. Giants
  5. Heroes & villains
  6. Hidden treasure
  7. Humorous tales
  8. Legendary beasts
  9. Local landmarks
  10. Phantom beasts
  11. Place-name stories
  12. Prehistoric remains
  13. Royalty
  14. Sunken cities
  15. Witches & wizards

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm pretty much in favor of any list that includes "screaming skulls". I don't know when I'll have time to expand this, so everyone feel free to riff on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that it's plural screaming skulls. I'd expect maybe one per county at the most. Yorkshire must be a creepy place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome list and map!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this list via Tower Of The Archmage.

    Consider it snagged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by, Justin.

    ReplyDelete